Located in the High Street on the south corner of
West Street with The Lion on the north corner.The
location has been questioned and may be the property
adjacent facing onto Anchor Hill. There is also the
possibility that this was renamed in the 1870s as
the Trowel & Hammer.
The building has been many things over the years. The Bull pub, a bakery and a number of wine bars and restaurants. The Bake House restaurant closed in 2017 and the rear part has been converted into residential use. The small front part remains, in 2020, for use as a food or drink retail premises but is unoccupied at the time of writing.
This list of names is from census returns.
1871: Not found [possibly renamed as Trowel &
Hammer, Sophia Pitt]
In its time as "The Bake House" restaurant.