The Flag Inn - formerly The Union Flag
The Flag Inn was formerly known as the 'Union Flag Inn'. A public house has been on the site since the late 18th century. This hostlery, along with the Horse and Groom and the Beehive, would have served Wivenhoe Cross, the more rural agricultural based community at the top of the town which was almost a separate village until the construction of The Avenue in the 1930s.
The early years of the 21st century have seen the
pub go through a number of changes, both physically
and of the owner/landlord. In late 2018 The Flag
closed, again, and it remains to be seen if we have
now lost another of the historic watering holes of
Wivenhoe or if a new owner/tenant will re-open this
1841: George Philbrick
The Union Flag in the late 19th century.
Note the main building with its mis-shapen
roof and two dormer windows
- still the same today although the bay window on the ground floor is now a flat window.
Photo: © John Stewart, Wivenhoe History Group
The Flag in about 2005.
A 20th century building replacing the shed and
outbuilding to the south. The original building with its
mis-shapen roof still standing with central door and two
altered windows visible behind the two motor cyclists.
Note the proud display of the EU flag alongside the Union flag on the end gable!