The Greyhound


Located in the High Street opposite the town car park, the Greyhound remains a popular pub in the Town serving real ales and home cooked food.
Music events are often held either in the bar, the upstairs meeting room or, in the summer, the garden to the rear.

From both the arrangement of windows on the front elevation and the internal layout of the building this is likely to have originally been two properties. The right hand bar is set three steps up from the left part and is mostly separated by an internal wall.


The list of names is from census returns, 1867 PO Directory and 1933 Kelly's Directory. They are therefore the occupants, not necessarily the licensee or owner.

1851: James Gardner [became Landlord of Rose & Crown from 1861]
1861: Barkely H Sainty
1867: Berkely H Sainty
1871: Abraham Ham
1881: Sarah Doyland
1891: Joseph B Brown
1901: Joseph B Brown
1911: Joseph B Brown
1933: W H Mawdsley



The Greyhound

John Stewart - Wivenhoe Memories Collection

The Greyhound around the turn of the 19th/20th century
The Grosvenor Hotel visible beyond the railway bridge and an awning outside The Yachters Arms on the right before the bridge.
The wall on the right was the boundary wall of the manor house - Wivenhoe Hall home of the Corsellis family from 1657 to 1899.



The Greyhound

John Stewart - Wivenhoe Memories Collection

The Greyhound in early 1900s, after road improvements.



The Greyhound

The Greyhound in 2017