Live and Let Live
On the corner of Alma Street and East Street, facing Black Buoy Hill.
The Live and Let Live Beerhouse was built in 1862 by John Eade shortly after Alma Street itself had been laid out. In 1912 it was sold to George and Grace Flux and it became the Alma Stores. It later became owned by Paul St John Johnstone (know locally as Holy Joe) whose eccentric habits caused its demise and it eventually became restored as a guest house known again as the Live and Let Live.
© Peter Kay - Wivenhoe Pubs
This list of names is from census returns.
1871: William C Harlow
© John Stewart - Wivenhoe Memories Collection
The Live and Let Live in its days as Alma Stores.
Live and Let Live as it is today .