On The Quay.
There are scant details of this pub, it is known
to be on The Quay and is listed as one of the
hostelries damaged in the 1884 earthquake. Two
photographs have been found showing the pub, one
when open, the other after it closed sometime in the
This list of names is from census returns.
1871: Robert Ham
The Sailor's Return when open at the far right of this view of the quay in around 1900.
The Sailor's Arms closed and run down in around 1920.
The site of the Sailor's Return as it is today.