Ship at Launch - formerly The Woolpack
On the corner of Bath Street on the Quay, the Wivenhoe Spa Baths were behind the pub in the ownership of Horace Flack. In the 1800s it was called the Woolpack. Next door to the pub on The Quay, was the Admiralty Custom House and quay, where tea and brandy seized from the smugglers was sold off together with their boats.
William Powell, and his wife Elizabeth, was the landlord of the Woolpack Inn from 1800–1813. The 1841 census has the landlord as William Roberts with his wife Phoebe, six children and three staff.
This list of names is from census returns.
1800: William Powell [The Woolpack]
© John Stewart - Wivenhoe Memories Collection
The Ship at Launch
A drawing of the pub probably around the turn of the 19-20th century.
The Customs warehouse, later to be Tiptree Jam's import stores, is visible to the right.
Postcard displayed in the Rose and Crown
An early photograph, of a similar date to the drawing above.
A similar view now. The pub and adjoining buildings replaced by a second warehouse in the early 20th century, now converted into riverside apartments. The right hand building is the warehouse visible in the drawing above.