The Shipwright's Arms


The Shipwright's Arms was on the corner of Wivenhoe Port in West Street. The Anglesea Arms in Queens Street, initially called the Old Shipwrights, was renamed to avoid confusion with this pub.

The building was last used as offices for the shipyard and was still standing with all the bar fittings still in place until the 1970s. It was finally demolished, along with Wivenhoe Port, and is now part of the new housing to the west of the Town. The name is still recorded though, as the access road has been named "The Shipwrights".


This list of names is from census returns, 1867 PO Directory and 1933 Kelly's Directory.
They are therefore the occupants, not necessarily the licensee or owner.

1851: Ann Jenkins
1861: Arthur Sainty
1867: Joseph Harvey
1871: Joseph Harvey
1881: Joseph Harvey
1891: Wilhemina Mills
1901: Alfred E Doubleday
1911: George J Hillyard
1933: William Edwards





John Stewart - Wivenhoe Memories Collection

The pub following the Colchester earthquake, also known as the Great English earthquake. This occurred on the morning of 22 April 1884 at 09:18. It caused considerable damage in Colchester and the surrounding villages in Essex.
The pub was lucky that the chimney beyond did not fall completely.




John Stewart - Wivenhoe Memories Collection

Around 1920 when the clientele were from the local sailing fleet - the pub hosted the winners of the 1922 sailing smack cup. The sailors at the door are no doubt from a visiting ship, Russian sailors were still common visitors up to the closure of the port in the 1980s.
Note the stump pf the old chimney visible beyond.




The final record before the pub disappeared in the port re-development.




Lastly the new housing now in its place.